Tuesday, April 20, 2010

When We Were Young

There was a day when we were young.

There was a day when someone could run fast and someone could make us laugh and someone always smelled funny. There was a day when everyone had their place, even if it wasn’t the place they wanted.

There was a day when mothers brought cupcakes for all our classmates. On that day, when our friends sang “Happy Birthday to You,” we shared our cakes with the class as if to say, “no, happy birthday to us.”

And for the few minutes between Geography and Gym, it felt good to be a gift. To share.

When we were young.

2 comments:

John Highsmith Photography said...

Where is the Thumbs Up button to click on to say that I like this? What? I have to type out that I like this? Okay, I like this.

The Journey said...

I had a theme song while reading your post.

We are young... heartache to heartache.

Not sure why Love is a Battlefield would come to mind.

Nice thought for the day!