Thursday, June 26, 2008

growth

Today I emptied the pots.

Five will be filled with new dirt and new plants and live with my sister. Rosemary and Thyme will stay with me, if they survive.

These two herbs that I love best were packed into a moving pod this morning. It will be a week before they arrive at our new home. A week without water. A week without wind. A week without sun. I pray for them, my herbal Anne Frank and Corrie Ten Boom, suffering in their hot hiding place. I hope they survive. I think they might. Maybe.

Their brothers, Oregano and Sage, were left behind. Like orphans of the apocalypse, they will wait. I will not return. I abandoned them along a fence in a pile of their own earth. I hope they take root, turn wild, and grow. If it rains enough, and soon, I think they might. Maybe.

This will be a long journey of hot mornings and many miles. There will be new seasons and new sunlight from a new sky. I wonder who and what will survive.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

interesting. i'm fairly sure that my high school boyfriend had the same mentality about me when he left me in my own earth hoping i would take root, turn wild, and grow.

i did all those things. if your abandoned friends are anything like my teenage self... they will come out of the rejection just fine!

dee dee